Drone Focus Film Festival
The Drone Focus Film Festival is a new installment in the Drone Focus conference a national drone conference that happens to be in Fargo, ND. Drone Focus strives to bring together industry leaders, entrepreneurs, and filmmakers invested in the UAS industry for two days of learning, networking, and high-altitude excitement. The focus of the Drone Focus Film Festival is on the application and end-product of the drone user in a competitive, creative atmosphere. All submitted films will be judged and the winners will receive cash and/or in-kind prizes. The Drone Focus Film Festival is looking foster the growth of the drones and UAS industry by bringing together multiple mediums and industries. Through the film festival, our hope is to empower the future of UAS technology and bring awareness to the surrounding communities.
Awards & Prizes
Category Winners will receive:
Yearly Pro Skytango Memberships of the value of $289 each: https://skytango.com/pil
Rules & Terms
Date: May 31 – June 1
Location: The Fargo Civic Center
- All films must be 5 minutes OR LESS in length
- 50% or more must be shot using a drone or UAV
- Entries must be submitted by – April 15, 2017
- Upon selection, contestants will be notified via email – May 1, 2017
- Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway. DVDs will not be accepted.
- One film submission per category. You may enter multiple films in different categories.
- Credits that should be included: Cast/Crew, UAV/drone pilot, drone technology (equipment used), music score, and locations filmed.
- For publication purposes, if your entry is selected, entrants must supply TWO digital images (production stills, movie poster, etc.) in .jpeg or PDF format. (Specs: 300 dpi, under 2K)
- Early Bird Deadline – $15 per entry
- Regular Deadline – $20 per entry
- Tell us a great story using a drone. 50% of the footage must be taken with a drone.
- All the audience to escape to a different place. Show us what you have been able to capture in your industry.
- Do you have too much amazing drone footage? Put all of your best shots together and submit your showreel.
- Did you capture the unforgettable moment? Submit your extreme sports, drone racing, or awe-moments to this category!
- ND Legendary
- North Dakota has incredible, original landscapes that makes ND truly Legendary! Submit your best footage of North Dakota to this category! All footage must be of North Dakota. You must include where every shot was taken.
- Students with a valid Student ID can submit their films here.
- People’s Choice (online voting starts – May 1, 2017)
- Can’t attend the conference but want to have an impact? After May 1st you can vote right from you home on the footage you think should take home a prize!
Awards & Prizes
Overall Best Drone Picture will be drawn from category winners.
If selected to screen at the film festival, filmmakers will be required to submit their films for use at the festival via Dropbox NO LATER THAN May 25, 2017
- The People’s Choice category will be open to the public for viewing/voting. (Attendees to the Drone Focus conference will be given TWO votes to disperse amongst one or two films)
- There will be a “top three” in each category that will go into the final rounds of selection.
- 15 judges, 3 judges per category
- The top three from each category will be ranked in order to determine best drone film.
- Finalists will be notified – May 1, 2017
- Fly below 400 ft
- Don’t fly within 5 miles of airport radius without consenting with air traffic authorities
- Stay away from emergency response efforts (ex: fires, storms, etc.)
- Fly within visual line of sight
- Avoid flying over people or near any aircraft
- Abide by flight restrictions put in place by the FAA
- DO NOT fly under the influence
- Visit KnowBeforeYouFly.org for more information
Drone Focus Film Festival reserves the right to utilize submitted footage for promotional purposes for the 2017 and future Drone Focus Film Festivals. No footage will be used to generate income or sold.